Estimated reading time: 1.5 min
What are appropriate amounts of food that we need within a day?
We as a society eat too much. Sometimes it is for boredom and lack of awareness, but most of the time it is because we don’t know better. How much should you eat?
Here you have a very specific guide of the appropriate amount of each food group you need within a day, ON AVERAGE. Of course it should be adapted if you are a very active or very corpulent person.
This is an average amount of daily food:
- 4 Cups of Low Glycemic Index Carbs (Most Vegetables, Some Fruits, Milk & Yogurt)
- 3 Cups of Low/Medium Glycemic Index Carbs (legumes, whole grain pasta or bread, brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, farro).
- 3 palm size serving of meat, poultry, fish.
- 4 x 2 thumbs of protein & fat (nuts, cheese, avocado, guacamole, humus)
- 1 treat (medium square of dark chocolate)
If you are still confused about Glycemic Index you can learn about it here.
If you have gained weight it wasn’t because you didn’t eat. It is true that there are many aspects related to weight management that need to be considered, which makes it a subject not as straight forward as calories in and out.
Having a clear idea of how much you should be eating is the first step to learn how to be in control of your weight.
Learning the healthy portion sizes and to prepare a healthy filling meal with a menu template will help you keep the amount of food you eat from each food group under control.
Over to You!
Will this information help you have a better idea of the amount of food you need?
I'd appreciate your feedback!